When Will My Stomach Feel Normal After Tummy Tuck Surgery?
Tummy tuck surgery (abdominoplasty) is a well-known procedure in the world of cosmetic surgery. The main goal is to reshape and tighten the abdominal area by cutting away excess skin and fat. If you're considering a tummy tuck at Plastic Surgery Vegas, you may be wondering when you can expect your stomach to feel normal again.
Body contouring procedures may take several weeks of recovery, but the results can be life-changing. The good news is that experienced plastic surgeons Dr. Andrew G. Silver and Dr. Terrence "Terry" Higgins in Las Vegas, NV can address your tummy tuck recovery concerns.
What is involved in a tummy tuck?
A tummy tuck procedure at Plastic Surgery Vegas involves cutting along the lower abdomen, usually from hip to hip. The excess skin and fat are removed, and the abdominal muscles may be tightened if necessary. The remaining skin is sutured in place, creating a flatter and more toned appearance.
Abdominoplasty is best for individuals who have lost significant amounts of weight or have sagging tissue left over from pregnancy. Patients should know that a tummy tuck is not a weight-loss surgery, but rather a body contouring procedure. Maintaining a healthy diet and exercise routine is still essential for long-term results.
When will my stomach feel normal after tummy tuck surgery?
Tummy tuck recovery varies depending on factors such as age, health, and the extent of the procedure. However, most patients of Dr. Silver and Dr. Higgins can expect to feel comfortable and return to their normal activities within 4 – 6 weeks. It usually takes two weeks to feel good enough to return to work, as long as it is not a physically demanding job.
In the first few days after abdominoplasty in Las Vegas, NV, you may experience some pain, swelling, and bruising in the stomach area. We can prescribe medication to reduce any discomfort. Once the initial swelling and bruising have subsided, you can begin to notice a flatter and more toned appearance.
What can I do to aid my tummy tuck recovery?
Follow our detailed post-operative instructions to ensure a smooth recovery and achieve the best possible results. These may include:
- Getting rest: Your body needs time to heal. Try to rest as much as possible after body contouring and sleep in a semi-upright position for the first week. This can help manage swelling.
- Eating a nutritious diet: A healthy diet can promote healing and prevent complications. Avoid foods that cause bloating and gas.
- Avoiding smoking and alcohol: Smoking can lead to infection and other complications, while alcohol may interact with pain medication or cause dehydration.
- Attending follow-up appointments: Dr. Silver and Dr. Higgins will book regular check-ups to monitor your progress and address any concerns.
- Gentle exercise: As you start feeling better, you can gradually incorporate light exercises such as walking into your routine. Get clearance from your surgeon before starting any new workouts.
See significant results from your tummy tuck
When excess skin and fat are removed from the abdomen, it can take some time for your body to adjust. While your stomach may feel tight and swollen at first, remember that these sensations will gradually subside as you heal. Dr. Andrew G. Silver and Dr. Terrence "Terry" Higgins can help you achieve your desired outcomes from tummy tuck surgery. Contact Plastic Surgery Vegas in Las Vegas, NV for a consultation and learn about our body contouring options.