How Long Will I Have Swelling After Liposuction?
Liposuction is a popular procedure performed by experienced surgeons, like Dr. Andrew G. Silver and Dr. Terrence "Terry" Higgins at Plastic Surgery Vegas. If you're considering fat removal in Las Vegas, NV, you may be concerned about post-operative swelling. Rest assured that some swelling is normal and resolves weeks to months, with final results taking up to a year or longer. However, every individual is different, and healing times may vary.
Below, our team discusses several factors that impact swelling during liposuction recovery and how to manage it effectively. Call to book your consultation and learn more about this unique procedure and aftercare.
What happens during liposuction?
During liposuction, tiny incisions are made in targeted areas where excess fat will be removed. A cannula, or a thin tube, is then inserted through the incision to suction out the fat cells. This process can result in some trauma to the surrounding tissues and blood vessels.
Our patients choose liposuction because it allows for precise targeting and can provide dramatic results. However, it's important to understand that swelling is a natural response to the body being "injured" during surgery.
Factors impacting post-operative swelling
Dr. Silver and Dr. Higgins use the latest techniques and technologies to minimize swelling during and after liposuction. However, the level of swelling you experience will depend on several factors. These include:
- The amount of fat removed: Larger volumes of fat removal may result in more trauma and, therefore, more swelling.
- The number of areas treated: The more areas that are treated during liposuction, the higher the likelihood of swelling.
- Surgical technique used: Different techniques and tools may result in varying levels of trauma to the body.
- Individual healing: Everyone heals at a different rate. Some individuals experience swelling for a longer period due to their natural recovery process.
Managing swelling after liposuction
While swelling is to be expected during liposuction recovery in Las Vegas, NV, there are ways to manage side effects and promote faster healing. Here are a few tips from the team at Plastic Surgery Vegas:
- Follow your aftercare instructions carefully: Dr. Silver and Dr. Higgins will provide specific aftercare instructions. It's important to adhere to these guidelines for better results.
- Wear compression garments: Compression garments help reduce swelling by applying light pressure to the treated areas. They also help improve blood flow.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking water is important for overall health, but it's especially crucial after fat removal surgery. Staying hydrated can flush out excess fluids and reduce swelling.
- Avoid strenuous activity: Take it easy and avoid any activities that increase your heart rate or put strain on the treated areas. This can help minimize swelling.
- Attend follow-up appointments: Our doctors will schedule follow-up appointments to monitor your progress.
How long will swelling last?
As mentioned, every individual heals at a different rate. In general, post-operative swelling can last anywhere weeks to months, with the final result taking up to a year or longer. Most patients experience noticeable improvements within the first two to three weeks. Remember, patience is key. Optimal outcomes may not be visible until then, but our team will be with you every step of the way.
Find out what to expect with liposuction recovery
Swelling is a normal part of the healing process after liposuction and should not cause alarm. However, if you have any concerns or experience excessive swelling, contact Plastic Surgery Vegas for further guidance in Las Vegas, NV. Dr. Andrew G. Silver and Dr. Terrence "Terry" Higgins are dedicated to providing personalized care and helping you achieve your desired results.